Watts of Love Mission Statement
Our mission is to meet people exactly where they are in life and serve any and all that are in need. As a secular nonprofit, Watts of Love seeks to impart light, love, and hope.
Watts of Love and Chalk Couture
When I first found out about Watts of Love it was at a Chalk Couture convention. Our company has partnered with Watts of Love in efforts to bring lights into a dark world.
The statistics are noted on the Watts Of Love web site about how many people live in darkness or use kerosene as a light alternative. There are so many issues with the use of kerosene–burns, respiratory illnesses, and early death due to the toxins that kerosine emits. The simple use of a solar powered light can change and save so many lives!
Startling Facts from Watts of Love
- Smoke from hazardous cooking and lighting methods kills nearly 2 million people annually, most of them women and children.
- More women are severely burned by kerosene-related accidents each year than are diagnosed with HIV and TB combined.
- Lighting costs of kerosene make up 20%-30% of annual household budgets, even when kerosene is subsidized.
- Breathing kerosene fumes is the equivalent of smoking two packs of cigarettes a day. Two-thirds of adult females with lung cancer in developing nations are non-smokers.
- Kerosene lamps emit large amounts of CO2, which contributes significantly to global warming. Eradicating kerosene positively impacts climate change.
How I Have Personally Helped
For my birthday last year, I did a simple Facebook fundraiser for Watts Of Love. We raised $500 which will provide at least five lights for five families. I encourage each of you to go to the Watts of Love web site and see the videos and really look into the faces of those who have received the gift of light!
Chalk Couture’s Involvement
Chalk Couture is proud to work with Watts Of Love and does so by contributing $2 from every Create Your Own Sunshine transfer sale. These transfers are so cute and work with so many different decors in all seasons. Be sure to pick up one or two… one for yourself, and one for a friend!
Be sure to check out my lastest projects here, like my Decorative Books and my Be Flamazing projects!
Let’s get Chalking!!
Want to know when we add new projects? Sign-up for the Chat and Chalk newsletter and be a part of #markelmania by staying up-to-date!